The Parish of Beadlam (Bodlum in the Domesday Book) comprises the village of Beadlam and surrounding agricultural area.
It lies adjacent to Nawton, straddling the A170 road.
Agriculture and some game bird shooting over the northern area of the Parish continue to have an influence on the village and its setting.
The majority of the village (approximately 100 households) is situated north of the A170 with a varied selection of homes ranging from thatch cruck cottages to council built cul-de-sacs, modern bungalows and farmhouses.
Most of the population of 240 lives in the village, which contains a church – St Hilda’s and a retirement home, an Indian Restaurant and an award winning Farm Shop. Within the Parish there is a Romano British Villa (an ancient monument) which is a Site of Interest for Nature Conservation.
On the edge of the village there is a caravan site and a secondary school which serves the Ryedale area. Residents mainly work locally or within a 20-mile radius, with retired people making up about a third of the population.
Originally agricultural, with a number of farms, the village has retained its rural quality with a mainly stone and pantile appearance as well as three thatched cottages and a number of cruck framed longhouses.
Nawton, Beadlam and Skiplam share the village hall, which was originally the old school. After the First World War the residents of the Parishes raised funds to convert the school into a memorial to those who had died. The Memorial Hall was opened in 1923.
For a copy of the latest Parish plan please click here